Thursday 20 June 2013

Floral Find - Friend or Foe




The last few times I have been walking I have seen this pendulous flower vine clambering over an old tree.  Today I traipsed through the long wet grass and down the bank it grew on to pick some and bring it home to try and identify it. I thought the flower looked a little like a passionfruit flower, and that it could look really nice climbing up a tree on my front lawn. .

Well I was right. The plant is a Banana Passionfruit Vine (Passiflora Mollissma) and it turns out that is is now classified as threat to our native bush in New Zealand, and should not be planted any more.  I guess I won't be buying one of these for my garden.

Check out this link for more information on this and other plants which are a threat to our native plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.