Saturday 10 January 2015

Finished - The Shirt Quilt








Finally the Shirt Quilt for Mr J is finished.  I started collecting shirts back in 2013 for this and bought a couple of checked fat quarters to add a little extra colour.  Cutting strips started in  February2014, about 350 2.5" x 6.5" strips were cut, and the top was finally completed in August. Based on a rail fence block, I used charcoal and denim  strips from The Scout's shirts,as the middle strip in each block to tone it down a little and add make it less busy on the eyes.

Mr J wanted some shirt pockets included, so he has places to hide things  (note to self: remember to check these before washing it), so there are six pockets pieced on the front in random directions.

The backing is made from a charcoal coloured solid from Spotlight and has a strip down the middle made up of shirt backs and scraps.  Straightish line quilting was done a 1/4" each side of the block seams.  I had a lot of problems with this, I think maybe because of all the different fabrics and differing weights, so I am not really going to show close ups of the quilting.  Needless to say, there was  a little cursing and unpicking during this part of the process.

The binding is a cotton linen chambray from Robert Kaufman in Indigo. It measures 60" x 66", and I figure that this is one quilt he will be able to use for a long time, rather than growing out of the colours or fabrics used.  I had to give up on stitching the quote for the back, however my sister has finished it for me, and I am just waiting for it to arrive from Australia, so I can hand stitch it to the back. A co-ordinating pillowcase has been made too.  Apart from my disappointment with the quilting, I love how this has turned out.  The quilt and pillowcase have been rolled up and tied with ribbon , and are now put away, ready to be given to Mr J on his birthday.

My first finish of 2015 and first for the 2015 Finish-a-long Q1

13 comments:

  1. Awesome! What a fun quilt, I like the idea of having pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful, a real delight. I love the idea of pockets and wonderful that you used old shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great result! A real young man's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt for your son! I'm sure he'll treasure it for a very long time. I made my husband a shirt for Christmas but had a lot of trouble finding decent shirting fabric - but what a great idea to cut up old shirts! I hope he has a great birthday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of adding the pockets, especially in different directions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely birthday prezzie! (ah-ha, I thought it was for you husband, but I see now , it's for your son!) Very much an easy-to-live-with & jammed packed with memories sort of quilt... the best kind I think! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so lovely - a shirt quilt is on my bucket list one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful!!! I love the pockets especially, really handy for some chocolates or the tv remote and things when you are having a snuggle under it! I am sure that your husband will love and treasure it for many many years!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt is wonderful - definitely made me want to put this on my list of to-dos! I have been collecting shirts for years for a quilt like this - in fact shipped some back from NZ when we moved back to UK!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Despite the hurdles at the end, it looks fantastic! I made a quilt for a friend from her little ones baby clothes last year... Working with the different weights and stabilising almost everything was not for the fainthearted so I get some of your frustrations! No doubt he is going to love this for a very very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. My favorite is the pocket idea. I think that will be so much fun. It is beautiful/handsome. ;-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really beautiful, and as you say, I don't think it will date or be grown out of.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.