Tuesday 2 February 2016

The Redwoods





We took a day trip to Rotorua while we were away.  One of the attractions we visited was The Redwoods - Whakarewarewa Forest.  This grove of Californian Redwoods was planted in 1901.  It was quite a different type of forest to experience walking though, compared to the New Zealand bush I am used too.  Not really a lot of undergroth, dappled light coming though and just really tall straight tree trunks wherever you looked.  Very calm and peaceful, and beautifully cool after being in the sun. We did the Redwood Grove Memorial Walk, which is 2.0 km long and dedicated to the men of the New Zealand Forest Service who lost their lives in the two World Wars. Lots of walking, hiking and mountain biking trails run through this forest too, as well as a treetops boardwalk,  which Miss B and Mr J, had walked on earlier in the holidays with my parents.

Hopefully we will go back one day and explore one of the longer trails.

8 comments:

  1. Gosh they're massively tall Julie. I can feel the coolness being below them. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you must have been in the US at first glimpse. I din't know Redwoods had been planted in NZ. If ever I make it across to NZ (and I would like to) these are another sight I would like to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so amazing, I've been to The Redwoods National and State Park in California a few years ago and lost all the pictures I took, I would love to go back. I had no idea there were redwoods in NZ. Great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these pics, somewhere I haven't been before, will put on the list for next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful friend!!! I love the redwoods in California!! How awesome to just be in nature with your family! Wishing you an outstanding Thursday! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very interesting that the trees are California Redwoods.
    I have not visited the Redwoods here in the U.S. on my list to do. :-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to visit the California redwoods. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.