Thursday 27 October 2016

Cook the Books - October







So much for all my healthy fresh salads this month.

Week One:
Holiday baking, so chocolate is the preferred (necessary) treat of choice.  This recipe actually popped up on my Facebook page, and knowing that we are a family of Chocolate  Mint fans, I thought I would give it a go.

Verdict: A little bit faffy to make with the different layers, but very delicious.  My kids both thought it tasted like the Chocolate Mint biscuits we buy as a treat.

Week Two:
Baking for back to school morning teas, was in order. Using my Homemade Happiness book again, I made Delicious Date Loaf.  It made quite a lot of batter, so I used two smaller loaf tins for this recipe.
Verdict: Lightly spiced, moist inside and a lovely chewy crust, this was delicious still warm with slightly melted butter.

Week Three:
Having seen numerous recipes in various books and internet sites for Freekah salads, I finally found some in my supermarket.  Not having things like pomegranates on hand I ended up googling ways to use it and found this salad.  I added some raisins and walnuts to it, and omitted the celery because I didn't have any.

Verdict:  Nice with a hint of smokiness from the way freekah is roasted after harvesting.  I don't feel the urge to stock up on freekah, and could probably easily substitute quinoa, brown rice or burghal in this.

Week Four:  My new Chelsea Winter cookbook , Scrumptious is very inspiring.  Lots of delicious recipes, so far I have made three of them.  Caramel Apple Cake, Snickalicious Slice and Sausage Pumpkin Pasta Bake.

Verdict: Mr J reckons this cake was made to be a dessert, preferably with ice cream, though he was happy to eat it any time.  The Snickalicious slice has been a big hit,  not overly sweet, but rather rich and definitely not everyday baking  I am also thinking this is best hidden away from my family and kept as a 'me treat'. The Sausage Pumpkin Pasta Bake was delicious too, another big hit with the family, it made enough for two nights.  Of course all  will be made again.

Lets see how healthy November will be ......

7 comments:

  1. Once again my mouth is watering. I have copied off the date loaf recipe, sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shouldn't read these delicious recipe blogposts of yours Julie, when I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering looking at those amazing photos. The date loaf is definitely a must with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying reading these posts! I love to experiment too, but there's only me & mr D. here to receipe test most of the time, and he just says he likes everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a very good months recipes and eating!! Hope that November is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds scrumptious. Funnily enough - the most humble of this month's book cooking - the date loaf - is what calls to me most. mmmm (Though I admit, the ME treat has me salivating, too :-)
    Happy weekending ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.