Monday 2 January 2017

Gone to the Birds








Over the past couple of years, my sister Janine and I have done quarterly swaps - usually comprised of quilting fabrics, pieces of felt and beautiful embroidery threads.  Towards the end of last year, we were talking and decided we must do something with these lovely things.  We decided that an applique project would be a good start.  Janine has picked the first project which ideally we should complete by the end of June, because I then get to pick the project for the second half of the year.

Janine has picked for us a Sue Spargo pattern called Bird Dance.  It features applique, lots of embroidery with stitches I have never tried before or seen before, ie: bullion knot (that's the gold loopy one around the bird's chest)  or really need to master - french knots.  Luckily Janine had given me a stitching book by Sue Spargo a couple of years ago.  Another good You Tube tutorial I have found demonstrating stitches is by Mary Corbet and is found here.

I have started with block number 26 and am making these birds in a colour palette of my own choosing, rather than the ones suggested in the book. Each block is 6.5" unfinished.  Whether I get all 30 completed is another story.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I hope you'll keep posting these little birds as you make them - please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! A great way to keep the art of embroidery going! My mum did any special stitching I needed in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulously funky fresh new header on your blog! Sue Spargo has a some scrumptious designs, the textures make for a lovely quilt........enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun project to work on with your sister! Love those birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, a real delight to see. Wishing you and yours a wonderful 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Julie! I love all the colours and designs. Happy New Year to you and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful and fun way to use those delicious threads and learn new stitches! Even is you choose to complete a mini with these it will still be a stunning work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a gorgeous project to start! I love Sue Spargo's work for all the embellishment but would likely change the colour palette too. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am quite excited to see this one as it develops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous start you have made Julie! I love your colour palette for this one! Your bird looks really cute! I prefer colonial knots (done with the thread wrapped in a figure 8 manner) to french knots. They are much more distinct and easier to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These birds are such fun - I'm doing them in a class at Millrose (Vic, Aust). You'll have a great time with them and that Sue Spargo embroidery book is The Best!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I like how you both are involved in the project. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pattern and colors! This will be lot of work but really worth of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Richmond, Virginia, USA. I did this Bird quilt in Jan-Feb., 2015 and had carpal tunnel surgery in March. One of my adult sons will soon have the quilt....it need binding. My advice is joyfully & slowly enjoy each birdie. I have a large household storage bin filled with wool, threads & embellishments for her quilt, FOLK-TAILS....love her ideas and YOUR beautiful stitchwork. Your quilts are amazing Holly

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.