Friday 13 January 2017

Scenes from my Week

















  • Miss B and Mr J are fully recovered from Jamboree now.  Yesterday I took the three of us to Clevedon Reserve to hike up to the lookout.  It is something Miss B and Mr J have done quite a lot, as there is a permanent Scout camp based there.  I however, had never walked this track before.  It is a relatively short loop track about 30-40 minutes, but feels a lot longer going up because of the hundreds of stairs.  The views were worth it though, as was climbing up through the kauri grove.  ( If you hover your cursor of the photos, the will tell you what they are of - thanks for that tip Karen).
  • I have been doing a little reading this week.  Kristin Harmel has been my new author discovery. Both books are set in modern times, with some flashbacks to characters lives based on historical events from WWII.  Her books are an easy read, enjoyable and a little sad at times, the underlying message is make the most of today and the times with special people in your life.
  • The garden is extremely dry at present, but a mass of hot colour with all my tropical cannas flowering.
  • A little more progress on my bird dance project, finding buttons tiny and cheap enough for the eyes is proving to be a mission.  I may have to use beads or even sequins.
  • A little baking ready for visitors this weekend - Cornflake Slice, though I only had rice bubbles on hand - I am sure it will still be delicious though.
Have a fabulous weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Your birds are stunning!!! Really, so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a lovely week. Your menagerie is coming along nicely :-) Did you check with Alicia Paulson (rosylittlethings)? It seems like I remember that she had tiny buttons. though with shipping, I suppose they might end up in the 'too pricey' category. How about a nice french knot? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds are a delight, such beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done that particular walk over in Clevedon, looks to be a beauty - apart from all the steps I see on your first photo! The bird blocks are a delight to see, I love your hand stitching on these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked up the recipe and am curious as to what copha is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copha is a solidified oil made from coconut, a substitute would be coconut butter. Crisco isn't recommended as a substitute. In the US there is a product called Palmin (available in European delicatessens) which is apparently a good substitute.

      Delete
  6. Great photos from the hike. I like the green plant in photo 10. :-)
    Have a great weekend!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must live in a beautiful part of New Zealand to have that walk/climb and resulting view at your disposal! And your stitching is lovely! What size buttons (!) do you need to finish your birds? I may have some in my button box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say - beautiful walk, beautiful stitching, beautiful photos! (And I'm sure the slice tasted good - the recipe sounds mouth watering!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We drove out to Clevedon last time I was in Auckland, went to the farmers market, lovely countryside around there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stitching! And I love the little bits of added fabric detail!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.